Read all the latest news from Careers in our final newsletter of Autumn term:
- Assessment Centres – give yourself the best chance of success
- York Award – calling all finalists!
- Boost your career prospects over the vacation
- Careers’ Christmas Market – lots of gifts and treats
- York Students in Schools (YSIS) in the Spring term
- How are we doing?
- Review of the Autumn term
- Helping you to connect – Employers 365
- Wanted! Student bloggers
- Careers Events and Employers on Campus
- Looking forward to next term
- Other news
- Further information about Careers
1. Assessment Centres – give yourself the best chance of success
It’s that time of year when graduate employers are running assessment centres as part of their recruitment for Summer 2013. If you are invited to an assessment centre, preparation is vital and we can help! On 16th January we are running an Assessment Centre Activity Day where you can get top tips from recruiters, a chance to try out some taster assessment centre sessions and then hone your networking skills talking to a number of Times Top 100 employers! More details of the event will be available on our events page soon www.york.ac.uk/careers/events Find out more about all things assessment centre related at www.york.ac.uk/careers/applications where you can download our information sheets on “Preparing for an Assessment Centre” and “How to Practice Aptitude Tests” for lots of useful tips.
2. York Award – calling all finalists!
If you want to apply for the York Award this year the application form will be available to download from the York Award website in Week 9 and should be submitted (hard copy) to Careers by 5pm Friday 25 January 2013. To keep up to date with the latest York Award news please update your profile within the Interactive Careers Service so you will be added to the York Award mailing list: www.york.ac.uk/careers/myprofile If you are a final year and want to know more about the York Award and whether you can apply please have a look at the website – www.york.ac.uk/careers/yorkaward . If you have any questions, speak to a member of staff in Careers any day of the week – through an information appointment which you can book in person at the Careers information desk (from 12.50pm daily) or through a York Award appointment (bookable up to 7 days in advance through the Interactive Careers Service).
3. Boost your career prospects over the vacation
Did you enjoy this term? If you got involved in anything outside of your degree, you will have started to pick up valuable skills and experience. These may help you to get work experience or the career you are after. But it’s not enough just to do things – you need to understand the skills you have gained, how they may relate to your career and how to talk about them in interviews. Find out more. If you haven’t got involved in anything yet, don’t worry! Browse for some ideas – why not choose something to do next term over the vacation?
4. Careers‘ Christmas Market
Taking place for the first time our Christmas Market is an opportunity for enterprising students to make, bake or source products to sell on their very own stall. With 26 stalls it means there’s lots of Christmas gifts and festive food for us all to enjoy. For some quirky and unique presents – and lots of treats – make sure you visit on Wednesday 5 December between 11am – 2pm in James Dining Hall.
5. York Students in Schools (YSIS) in the Spring term
Keep your eye out for YSIS activities in the Spring term; the successful YSIS Plus Workshops led by educational consultants will be running in Week 4, and YSIS will be advertising Block Placements. Further information on our YSIS web pages www.york.ac.uk/careers/ysis under the “Progression Opportunities” tab, or Like us on Facebook for up-to-date information www.facebook.com/yorkstudentsinschools
6. How are we doing?
You may have noticed Careers has a new look this term and we’ve revamped how we communicate with you over the past months. Now we want to know what you think – do you get enough of the right information, in the right format, at the right time? What do we do well and what do we need to do better? We will be asking you for your thoughts over the next few weeks so if you see someone with a clipboard around campus who wants to talk to you about Careers, or you receive a survey from us by email – please take a couple of minutes to respond. Getting our communication with you right is really important to us.
7. Review of the Autumn term
It’s been a busy start to the academic year and lots of Careers events have been happening all over campus. Read our review of the term and see if you can spot yourself in any of the event pictures http://php.york.ac.uk/fs/care1/blog/?p=5154
8. Helping you to connect – Employers 365
There are lots of ways to find jobs and learn more about different career ideas. Our aim is to give you the chance to connect with employers all year round – http://www.york.ac.uk/news-and-events/features/employers-365/ Alongside this, our Graduate Profiles is another resource you can use to explore different career areas by talking to people who are already working in the area that interests you – and even better is the fact that they are York graduates who are really happy to help! Visit www.york.ac.uk/careers/profiles
9. Wanted! Student bloggers
Thank you to those of you who have already volunteered to write blogs for our website – our first blogs have now been posted http://php.york.ac.uk/fs/care1/blog/?p=5104 More student blogs on a range of subjects will be published throughout the Spring term. We still have opportunities available for more of you to get involved. We want to hear from any student who has something to say about anything careers related – and we are particularly keen to hear the thoughts of any postgraduates and international students. To get your blog published on the Careers website next term just email email@example.com with brief details about yourself and what you’d like to write a blog about.
10. Careers Events and Employers on Campus
In week 9 the following events will take place on campus. You can find out more and book for the employer events at www.york.ac.uk/careers/ics
- Tues, 17:15: Applying for the York Award (AEW/104) This event will re-run in the early weeks of the Spring term
- Tues, 17:30: Nestle Graduate Scheme presentation & workshop
- Wed, Thurs 10-16:00: Team Development (Ron Cooke Hub)
- Wed, 13:15: Personal Branding with Barclays Technology
11. Looking forward to next term
We are already putting together a programme of careers events for Spring Term. As well as our comprehensive programme of workshops focusing on job hunting and applications, we are also running a networking event in week 3, centred on working in education and with young people. This event will provide the opportunity to speak to people working in a range of roles within this sector. The full programme of events for Spring will be available on our website soon: www.york.ac.uk/careers/events Later in the term we will have a large scale Professional Connect networking event focusing on Arts & Heritage, Consulting and Public & Third Sectors – more details to follow.
Knowing how to network successfully is key to getting the most out of these events, see our information sheet on networking to get some pointers: Successful Networking Information Sheet
12. Other news
- The WetFeet Career Benchmark Survey: This is used by employers to design their recruiting strategies and select key universities for recruitment. Your participation helps to increase the visibility and marketability of University of York students to employers. Please take the survey now http://unisurv.co/UK2013
- BLOG: Employers on Campus – companies students want to work for: http://php.york.ac.uk/fs/care1/blog/?p=5056
- Interested in a career in advertising? Check out www.careersinadvertising.co.uk
13. Further information about Careers
- Lots more information available 24 hours a day at www.york.ac.uk/careers
- Read the latest careers news at www.york.ac.uk/services/careers/service_news.cfm
- Opening hours: Monday – Friday 10.00am – 5.00pm (term time)
- Details of our full event programme for Autumn 2012:www.york.ac.uk/careers/events
- Follow us on social media: www.york.ac.uk/careers/socialmedia