- Professional Connect Event
- Employer Events on Campus
- Careers Events
- Careers Spotlight on Skills
- Funding Available for Social Enterprise
- New Entrepreneurs Foundation
- Working while Studying
- Updated Webpages for International Students
- Go Behind the Scenes of the Education Sector with Interactive Workshops
- Alumni Mentoring Scheme
- Caught Our Eye This Week
- Wet Feet Survey
- Further information about Careers
1. Professional Connect – Coming Soon!
Tuesday 26th February, 6.15pm in the Physics Exhibition Centre.
Make sure you add our next Professional Connect event to your diary to have the opportunity to meet York alumni and other professionals working in the fields of Arts & Heritage, Public & Third Sector and Consultancy. This large scale event provides a fantastic platform to ask a panel of experts in your chosen strand about their work, their career journey, careers available and tips on how to get there. You will then have the opportunity to network more informally across all strands, and gain further answers and insight.
Keep an eye out for further information as the event approaches at www.york.ac.uk/careers/events
2. Employer Events on Campus
Please book to confirm your place at these events on our Interactive Careers Service.
- 13 Feb, 1:15pm: Commercial Awareness with Lloyds Banking Group Plc
3. Careers Events
Details of all of our events can be found on the Interactive Careers Service. Where no room is listed below, please ensure you book to confirm your place.
- 4 Feb, 2:15pm: Effective Job Application Forms (PL005)
- 4 Feb, 4:15pm: The Art of Leadership
- 6 Feb, 4:15pm: Education Workshop – Numeracy (CA102)
- 7 Feb, 2:15pm: Shape up your CV and Covering Letter (PT005)
- 8 Feb, 11:15am: Disclosing your Disability to Employers (Careers)
- 12 Feb, 3:15pm: Impressing at Interviews (PL005)
- 13 Feb, 4:15pm: Education Workshop – Special Educational Needs (CA102)
- 18 Feb, 4:15pm: Court in the Act
- 20 Feb, 2:15pm: Work Experience in Heritage and Culture (DL047)
- 20 Feb, 2:15pm: Networking for Beginners
- 20 Feb, 4:15pm: Education Workshop – Teach First (AEW003)
- 21 Feb, 12:15pm: Impressing at Interviews (AEW104)
4. Careers Spotlight on Skills
Week 5 is the final week of our Careers Spotlight on Skills. Whatever stage you are at, it is never too early to start building an impressive portfolio of skills and experience to help you stand out from the crowd to employers and further study providers. Careers Spotlight on Skills highlights the support, information and opportunities on offer to help you identify your skills, the areas for development and suggestions of ways to achieve this. Make sure you have the skills to succeed! Find out more at www.york.ac.uk/careers/skills
5. Funding Available for Social Enterprise
If you’re driven by a desire to bring about social change, there’s no better time to put your ideas into action. Thanks to an UnLtd and HEFCE initiative, The University of York have funding to support students and staff on this journey. See our social enterprise page for more info (https://www.york.ac.uk/students/work-volunteering-careers/skills/enterprise/social-enterprise/).
6. New Entrepreneurs Foundation
The New Entrepreneurs Foundation (NEF) is on the hunt for next year’s cohort of students to undertake a year-long paid programme with some of the UK’s most entrepreneurial businesses. The deadline for applications is 15th February 2013. http://www.newentrepreneursfoundation.co.uk/
7. Working while Studying
This week’s guest student blog is from third year Maths student Richard Allen, who shares his experience of working during his degree. You can read what he says here: http://php.york.ac.uk/careers/blog/?p=5618
If you have something to say about a career related issue, or a strong opinion on anything that you would like to share with your fellow students, you could get published on the Careers website. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your ideas.
8. Updated Webpages for International Students
We have been working on our pages for international students www.york.ac.uk/careers/international which now contain more links and resources to help you during your time at York, and when you return home. If there is anything else you’d like to see on these pages let us know by email@example.com
9. Go Behind the Scenes of the Education Sector with Interactive Workshops
Do you want to know more about the education system? On Wednesday afternoons this term you can hear from education consultants about current theory, techniques and practice. These YSIS Plus workshops are led by consultants from the City of York Council and are open to all students. Attend the workshop on “Numeracy” in week 5, or “Special Educational Needs” in week 6. Visit www.york.ac.uk/careers/ysis and look under the “Progression Opportunities” tab for the full programme.
10. Alumni Mentoring Scheme
Applications for the next cycle of the Alumni Mentoring Scheme (AMS) are now open! This provides an excellent opportunity for current students to develop their career planning with the help of an experienced mentor drawn from the University’s extensive alumni network – you can read more about last year’s pilot study at http://www.york.ac.uk/news-and-events/features/alumni-mentoring, and check out some case studies athttps://www.york.ac.uk/students/work-volunteering-careers/explore-options/ideas/mentoring/#tab-5.
Last term, the scheme paired atotal of 52 students with 25 York alumni, and in the words of one student, we”did a really brilliant job at the matching”. The scheme will run from Week 7 of the Spring Term to Week 7 of the Summer Term. You can apply by filling out a short online questionnaire. The deadline for applications is Monday 4 February, and to be considered you must be able to attend the launch event on Wednesday 13 February, from 5.15 to 7.15 pm. Please contact Sarah Pett at firstname.lastname@example.org you have any questions, or would like more information.
11. Caught Our Eye This Week
www.gradsintocareers.co.uk/ range of careers information plus international job search
www.allaboutcareers.com/videos Careers videos
www.countryside-jobs.com/Jobs/workdays.htm environmental work days in the UK
http://www.graddiary.com/interviews/ get the insider view on what it’s like to work for a company
www.getin2marketing.com/improve/career-development-awards career development awards for student brand managers
http://www.twitjobsearch.com search for jobs advertised on Twitter
12. Chance to Win a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 – Complete the Wetfeet Survey Now
There is still time for you to help shape future Careers services and influence your future employer offering. Follow the link below and you will get a handy career planning resource pack including two free WetFeet insider guides and access to career webinars. You will also get the chance to win aSamsung Galaxy Note 10.1! http://unisurv.co/UK_GalaxyNote
13. Further information about Careers
- · Lots more information available 24 hours a day at www.york.ac.uk/careers
- · Read the latest Careers news at www.york.ac.uk/services/careers/service_news.cfm
- · Opening hours: Monday – Friday 10.00am – 5.00pm (term time)
- · Details of our full event programme for Spring 2012: www.york.ac.uk/careers/events
- · Follow us on social media: www.york.ac.uk/careers/socialmedia