1. Professional Connect, Thursday 2 May, 6.15-8.30pm, Physics Exhibition Centre
The next event in the Professional Connect series brings you an opportunity to meet and network with professionals in:
- Media & Publishing
- Life Sciences & Environment
Professional Connect is… a panel Q&A session for each sector, offering insight into work in these fields, as panellists discuss their own career paths, the range of roles available, work/life balance, and give tips on how to stand out from the crowd; followed by a drinks reception and networking so you can to meet a range of professionals, chat informally, share ideas, explore options and get advice. To keep up to date with details of the event join the event on Facebook or visit our Professional Connect webpage.
2. Win £2,000 with Careers‘ competition, Plan ENVY!
Applications are now open for our fantastic business plan competition, Plan ENVY. Enter before Friday 24 May (Week 5) and you could win £2,000.
3. Apply for a £2,000 enterprise internship
If you would like the opportunity to work on your business idea over the summer, why not apply for a £2,000 enterprise internship? The deadline is Thursday 23 May (Week 5). Find out more on the Enterprise website.
4. Exclusive paid summer internships for York students now available!
The Student Internship Bureau (SIB), based in Careers, has started to advertise summer internship opportunities with a wide range of local and national employers of all shapes and sizes. All SIB internships are project-based, paid, available exclusively to University of York students and will enhance your employability. Many more internships will be advertised in the weeks to come, so now is the time to get your CV and application technique checked by the Careers team.
To find out what’s advertising this week, and to apply, log into the Interactive Careers Service and search by organisation Student Internship Bureau. Keep up to date with the latest projects, as they are advertised, by liking our SIB Facebook page
5. Want to know more about setting up your own business?
Come along on Tuesday 30th April (Week 2) to learn about the financial aspects of setting up a business, and on Thursday 2nd May (Week 2), to find out about marketing and market research. Both sessions run from 17:15 to 19:15, no booking required. Further details of both events available via the Interactive Careers Service
6. CV Guide – NEW!
Want to write a good CV? CV Guide from Careers can show you how. It’s in the VLE, and guides you through the essentials of building a winning CV with examples and advice from experts. http://vle.york.ac.uk/
7. “What am I good at?”
Whether you’re starting to get involved in extracurricular activities, or continuing, now is a great time to start thinking about the skills you have been developing, so that you can talk about them in CVs, application forms and interviews.
Use ‘What am I good at?’ in the Employability Tutorial to record your skills and achievements, find out what skills graduate employers are looking for, and find things you can do to develop certain skills. Access What am I good at? in the VLE.
8. York Students In Schools (YSIS) volunteering opportunities:
Interested in teaching? Or just want to gain experiences working with children and young people? Then a YSIS placement is for you! York Students in Schools (YSIS) offers students the chance to volunteer as student tutors in local schools during an academic term. Why not attend an “Introduction to YSIS” session during Weeks 2 or 3 to find out more about the scheme. Visit our webpage or find us on Facebook for more information. Applications for Autumn placements will open in Week 3.
9. New term, new look!
If you’ve been struggling to find a quiet spot to study – look no further! We’ve rearranged our information room to create more study space (for any study – not just careers-related) and which you are welcome to come in and use any time during opening hours (10.00am – 5.00pm term time). The Careers building is next to Central car park, near the Market Square shops.
Where no location is given for an event, please log into the Interactive Careers Service for further information and booking details.
- Thales competition, Tuesday 23 April. Visit the Thales photo booth in Ron Cooke Hub Atrium 11am – 3pm to take part. More details available on the Interactive Careers Service
- Non-UK students – get your National Insurance number, Wednesday 24 April. All day event for University of York students at York Jobcentre – full details of how to book a place (essential) on the Interactive Careers Service
- Employer led skills session with TSYS (a global payment technology company recognised as one of the world’s most ethical companies 2013), Wednesday 24 April , 1.15pm – 3.15pm More details available on the Interactive Careers Service
- Internships and other work experience:
Wednesday 24 April 1.15pm – 2.15pm in D/L/036
- Work Experience in the Media
Thursday 25 April 3.15pm – 4.15pm in D/L/047
- Introduction to York Students in Schools:
Tuesday 30 April: 4.15pm – 5.15pm in P/T/006
- Enterprise: Monday Matters – The financial fundamentals of startup:
Tuesday 30 April: 5.15pm – 7.15pm in P/T/007
- Write On! Written Communication Skills (Session 1 of a 7 week course)
Wednesday 1 May: 4.15pm – 5.45pm. Full details and booking (from 15 April) on the Interactive Careers Service
- Enterprise: Know your Markets
Thursday 2 May: 5.15pm – 7.15pm in P/L/006
- Professional Connect
Thursday 2 May: 6.15pm – 8.30pm in P/X/001
11. Caught our eye this week
- Summer Careers Fairs: If you are a finalist and want to meet graduate employers with jobs this summer find out where the summer careers fairs will be, and go along. If you don’t quite know what they will be like or what you should do when you’re there, or just need help to prepare, call in and talk to us.
12. Information about Careers:
- Lots more information available 24 hours a day at www.york.ac.uk/careers
- Read the latest Careers news at www.york.ac.uk/services/careers/service_news.cfm
- Opening hours: Monday – Friday 10.00am – 5.00pm (term time)
- Details of our full event programme for Summer 2013: www.york.ac.uk/careers/events
- Follow us on social media: www.york.ac.uk/careers/socialmedia