Careers Newsletter Weeks 5 and 6
In this issue:
- Spotlight on summer – work, play and get ready for your future
- Professional Connect – find out how to connect with York graduates 365 days a year!
- New website for students with a disability or long term health condition – help with disclosure, and job applications
- Last call for applications for enterprise internships, boot camp and Plan ENVY – you could win up to £4,000
- Fantastic opportunities to volunteer with great projects in York – develop your skills, help others AND become more employable
- Get some classroom experience with a YSIS placement – last chance to apply for Autumn 2013
- Think it’s too late to find a summer internship? Think again!
- Guest blog from Inspiring Interns – “How to find an internship and make it count”
- Events coming up
- Coming soon: The final countdown for finalists
- How can Careers help me? Information for international students
- Caught our eye: How to check out overseas opportunities, and how to avoid job scams
- City Law for Ethnic minorities – 2 day event, apply now!
- Check out our Professional Connect photo gallery
1. Spotlight on summer – work, play and get ready for your future
The sun is shining and summer is definitely on its way at last – so it’s a great time to start thinking about how you are going to make the most of the summer vacation. Whether you are travelling, working or volunteering you’ll be developing vital skills employers need. If you are coming back to York in September, it’s also a great time to start thinking about next year. We have lots of advice and suggestions for you.
2. Professional Connect – now 365 days a year!
Following the success of our summer Professional Connect networking event on 2 May, we want to make sure you know how to connect with York graduates 365 days a year. By using our Graduate Profiles you can find out what people from your course have gone on to do, and many of them are happy for you to connect with them on an individual basis. This is a great way for you to explore different careers and get one-to-one advice from a York graduate working in the sector you’re interested in. If you need any help using Graduate Profiles drop into Careers any afternoon between 1pm and 3.30pm to talk to staff.
3. NEW – website for students and graduates with a disability
If you are a student (or graduate) with a disability or long term health condition, a new website www.greatwithdisability.com can help. It has lots of help as you apply for graduate jobs and prepare to go through the recruitment process, and has information on disclosing a disability, requesting adjustments, dealing with gaps in your CV, lack of work experience etc.
4. Last chance to win £4,000 for your business idea
Last call for applications for enterprise internships, boot camp and Plan ENVY. Don’t miss the chance to receive up to £4,000 to work on your business idea. The deadlines are as follows:
- enterprise internships (Thursday 23rd May, week 5)
- business plan competition Plan ENVY (Friday 24th May, week 5)
- Entrepreneurs Boot Camp (Friday 31st May, week 6) See www.york.ac.uk/careers/enterprise for more information.
5. Apply for an individual volunteering opportunity! Deadline Friday Week 6 (31st May)
York Students in Communities is offering a range of exciting volunteering opportunities with local education, heritage and environmental organisations and charities. We have a range of opportunities to get involved with over the summer or when you return to York in the Autumn. Organisations include National Trust, Treasurer’s House, York Museums Trust, York Archaeological Trust, Missing People, The Wilberforce Trust, SNAPPY, Friends of St Nicolas Fields and Adult Education.
For more information and to apply visit www.york.ac.uk/careers/communities and visit the individual opportunities tab. Deadline for applications Friday Week 6 (31st May).
6. Get some classroom experience with a YSIS placement – last chance to apply for Autumn 2013!
Applications for Autumn term YSIS placements close 6pm Wednesday week 5. Take a look at some of our case studies on our webpages under the “What Students Say…” tab to read about the experiences of previous YSIS students. Visit www.york.ac.uk/ysis for more information about the scheme, and to find out how to apply.
7. It’s not too late – summer internships on offer for this summer
The Student Internship Bureau (SIB) continues to advertise summer internship opportunities with a wide range of local and national employers, including a number of University departments on campus. All SIB internships are project-based, paid, available exclusively to York students and will enhance your employability. Get your CV and application technique checked by the Careers team to help you stand out from the crowd!
To find out what’s being advertised this week, and to apply, log on to the Interactive Careers Service and search by organisation Student Internship Bureau. Keep up to date with the latest projects, as they are advertised, by liking www.facebook.com/UniversityofYorkSIB
We also advertise many other opportunities from other providers in the Interactive Careers Service and we have a range of useful information sheets to help you find work experience and internships in different job sectors.
8. Guest blog – how to get an internship and make it count
This summer lots of York students will be undertaking internships – they are a great way to gain valuable work experience. Our guest blog from Inspiring Interns tells you how you can make the most of your internship opportunity.
Where no location is given for an event, please log into the Interactive Careers Service for further information and booking details. (Please note that York Award courses are open to students in all years whether or not they intend to apply for the York Award in final year.)
- How to get to “Yes” (York Award Course): Wednesday 22 May, 1.15pm – 5.15pm
- Considering a Masters, Tuesday 28 May, 4,15pm – 5.15pm, A/EW/003
- Social Entrepreneur (York Award Course): Wednesday 29 May, 1.15pm
We are also holding many departmental events between now and the end of summer term – check out the Interactive Careers Service for details
10. COMING SOON! The Final Countdown
Check out Careers events especially for final year students later this term to help you prepare for life after York. We can help you kick start planning for your future, help you with your job search, and help you trouble shoot any interview problems. Check out what’s happening and come along.
11. Frequently asked questions about using Careers – for international students
How our service operates may be very different from what you experienced in your home country. If you have any questions about what we do and how we do it check out our FAQs for international students . If you have any further questions about how we can help you, please just call into Careers any time.
12. Caught our eye this week
- If you are thinking about paying an organisation for a voluntary/work experience overseas, check out reviews of other people’s experiences at www.abroadreviews.com
- Unfortunately there are lots of job scams around and some students across the UK have been caught out. The website www.safer-jobs.com highlights some of these, and www.getsafeonline.org/protecting-yourself/job-searching/ has useful information on how to stay safe when searching for jobs online.
13. City Law for Ethnic minorities – 2 day event, apply now!
City Law for ethnic minorities is a two-day event for those interested in a career in law. Details, including application form, available at www.targetjobsevents.co.uk. Application deadline: 31 May 2013.
14. Check out our latest Professional Connect photo gallery
If you attended and want to know if you made it into our Facebook photo gallery, or just want to see what a Professional Connect networking event looks like, check out our latest images from the event on 2 May.
15. Information about Careers:
- Lots more information available 24 hours a day at www.york.ac.uk/careers
- Read the latest Careers news at www.york.ac.uk/services/careers/service_news.cfm
- Opening hours: Monday – Friday 10.00am – 5.00pm (term time)
- Details of our full event programme for Summer 2013: www.york.ac.uk/careers/events
- Follow us on social media: www.york.ac.uk/careers/socialmedia