In this issue:
- Start it! Tour de France Festival Funding- What’s your idea to engage the city?
- Last chance to apply for a Spring term YSIS placement!
- Do it! Community Placement – Apply now! Deadline 7 November, Week 6
- Get your game on at the University’s first Game Jam!
- Employer Events in weeks 5 & 6 (28 Oct – 8 Nov)
- Careers briefings in weeks 5 & 6 (28 Oct – 8 Nov)
- Call for stalls for this year’s Christmas Market
- Global Connect 2013, 7 November 5-6.30pm
- Women in Business and Leadership Event
- Part time internships for University of York students
- Interested in postgraduate study?
- Change to opening date for Teacher Training applications – 21 November 2013
- How to choose a career
- Talking to us
- FREE access for all University of York students to the 10 Minutes With website!
1. Start it! Tour de France Festival Funding- What’s your idea to engage the city?
Get creative in city spaces or engage local schools in the 100 day Cultural Festival celebrating the Tour de France coming to Yorkshire. Apply with your society, college, course friends or house mates to put on a street performance, show art through endurance or set up a school based Tour de France. Up to £500 in funding available to successful projects.
Find out more Launch Event 5.30pm, Thursday Week 4 (24 Oct), Lakehouse, Ron Cooke Hub.
2. Last chance to apply for a Spring term YSIS placement!
A YSIS placement provides students with the opportunity to volunteer in a local school for a 10-week placement of half a day each week. Applications close at 5pm on Monday 28 October, week 5. There are a range of placements available from nursery to sixth form, providing you with the opportunity to have a fun and fulfilling experience whilst contributing to the community.
3. Do it! Community Placement – Apply now! Deadline Thursday Week 6
Apply for a placement with SNAPPY, York Museums Trust, Friends of St Nicholas Fields, York Archaeological Trust, Young York Carers, York Youth Support. There are a range of roles available from conservation, event volunteer to activity helper. Applications open from Tuesday 22 October, Week 4 to Thursday7 November, Week 6. ThIs is your chance to have a fun and fulfilling experience whilst contributing to the York community.
4. Get your game on at the University’s first Game Jam!
Want to make a video game? Learn how at the University’s Game Jam, which takes place in the Ron Cooke Hub from 8th – 10th November (week 6). Make a game with a group of friends or meet new ones. Whether an industry veteran, or a total beginner, anyone is welcome to try their hand at making a game – no coding experience is required. Over the course of 48 hours you and your fellow team mates will rapidly go through each stage of game development in crunchtime fashion. When the deadline hits you will have a fully playable game! See http://gamejamyork.co.uk/ for more information.
5. Employer events in weeks 5 and 6 (28 Oct – 8 Nov)
• Full details of content and location can be found on the Careers Gateway
- 28 Oct, 13.00 Sothebys – Looking for a career in the art world?
- 28 Oct, 18.15 Daiwa scholarship programme – language study, work and homestay in Japan
- 28 Oct, 18.30 Morgan Stanley – Dispelling the myths of investment banking
- 29 Oct, from 10.30 Appointments with Baker & McKenzie Law Firm
- 29 Oct, 18.30 Deloitte autumn careers evening – Just the Ticket
- 30 Oct, 13.00 Allen & Overy Law Firm Presentation
- 30 Oct, 18.30 Dinner and Drinks with Baker & McKenzie Law Firm
- 4 Nov, 12.00 Morgan Stanley – Operations skills session
- 4 Nov, 18.00 Norton Rose Fulbright Law Firm
- 7 Nov, 12.00 Christie’s Education Presentation on our postgraduate degree options in the History of Art
- 7 Nov, 18.00 SJ Berwin Law Firm
6. Careers briefings Weeks 5 & 6 (28 Oct – 8 Nov)
- 28 Oct, 13.00 Work Experience Strategies
- 28 Oct, 17.00 wks 6-9 York Enterprise Scheme
- 30 Oct, 14.00 wks 5-7 &9 The App Challenge
- 30 Oct, 14.00 The Bloomberg Aptitude Test (BAT)
- 30 Oct, 13.00 Introduction to YSIS
- 30 Oct, 17.00 CV Basics
- 31 Oct, 12.30 Applying for further study
- 01 Nov, 15.00 CV Basics
- 04 Nov, 15.00 wks 6-7 Your Online Brand
- 05 Nov, 17.00 Interview Basics
- 07 Nov, 12.30 Developing your career planning
- 07 Nov, 17.00 Global Connect – Work experience, study and volunteering outside of the UK.
7. Call for stalls for this year’s Christmas Market
Don’t forget you can sign up for a stall at this year’s Careers Christmas Market until Wednesday 13th November (week 7). If you’ve got any questions, we’re running a drop-in session in Careers from 12pm to 2pm on Thursday 31st October (week 5).
8. Global Connect 2013, Week 6, 7 November 2013, 5.00pm – 6.30pm
If you want to get experience overseas come and talk to opportunity providers about volunteering, study or work experience at this mini fair. You will have the chance to talk to a range of organisations who can help you to organise your trip – see the brochure or join the Facebook event page for more details.
9. Women in Business and Leadership event
Gain insight in how to get ahead as a female graduate in business and leadership at Careers’ newest networking event on Tuesday 12th November (week 7), 6pm to 8pm in Physics Exhibition Centre. Come along and meet a range of professional alumnae who have gone on to forge exciting careers in sectors such as FMCG, retail, technology and the third sector and find out how you could do the same. See Careers Gateway for details.
10. Part time internships for University of York students
Check out the latest part-time internships being advertised exclusively for University of York students by the Student Internship Bureau. Keep up to date with the latest SIB news by following us on Facebook. Lots more ideas on how to find work experience and internships on our information sheets
11. Interested in postgraduate study? Free funding guide available now!
It’s easy to be confused about how applications and funding for postgraduate study works – but we can help! Check out our information sheet on postgraduate study (further study tab) which will help to answer many of your questions. You can also call in to pick up a free Prospects postgraduate funding guide from Careers.
12. Change to opening date for Teacher Training applications – 21 November 2013
Please note that the opening date for applications for Initial Teacher Training has been put back to 21 November 2013. Information about course providers will not be available on the UCAS website until this date.
13. How to choose a career
Choosing a career may sound scary, but it doesn’t have to be, especially if you think about it now. There are sections in the Employability Tutorial to help you with this, no matter what stage you are at. Options after graduation can give you some ideas, How to research career options can help you to find out more, and How to choose a career helps you to compare the pros and cons, think about your priorities, and make decisions. Have a look at the new and improved Employability Tutorial now!
14. Talking to us
If you feel you want to talk to someone about your future but aren’t sure who or how, check out the different types of appointments we offer each week. Appointment booking opens at 8.00am the day before the appointment – so for an appointment on Tuesday booking opens at 8.00am on Monday.
15. FREE access for all University of York students to the 10 Minutes With website!
Designed to help you understand the true nature of different jobs, 10 Minutes With, features short video-interviews with influential business leaders. If you want to know what a particular job is like and what skills are needed, visit www.10MinutesWith.com
16. Information about Careers:
- Lots more information available 24 hours a day at www.york.ac.uk/careers
- Search for jobs online via Careers Gateway www.york.ac.uk/careers/gateway
- Read the latest Careers news at https://yorkcareers.wordpress.com/
- Opening hours: Monday – Friday 10.00am – 5.00pm (undergraduate term time)
- Details of our full event programme for Autumn 2013: www.york.ac.uk/careers/events
- Follow us on social media: www.york.ac.uk/careers/socialmedia