In this issue:
- Assessment Centre Activity Day – what does it take to succeed?
- York Award – it will soon be time for final year students to apply, check our how it works now
- New Careers’ Networking event for women – your chance to get an insight into business and leadership
- First Steps to Starting a Business – come along to this new workshop
- Celebrate Le Tour de France coming to Yorkshire with £500
- Last chance to sign up for a stall at the Careers Christmas Market – make some money!
- Employers on campus – your chance to ask questions and get a real insight into what they want
- Paid internships through the Student Internship Bureau
- Careers Briefings – get CV help, start thinking about your future and lots more
- Don’t miss out on slides from our briefings and presentations – now available to download
- If you are bilingual or fluent in another language please join our Language Register to help local children
- A quick reminder of change of opening date for Teacher Training applications
- Interested in PR and Marketing? Check out this exciting charity internship
- More news in brief…
- Further information about how we can help you
1. Assessment Centre Activity Day – what does it take to succeed?
Are you already preparing for an assessment centre? Do you want to know more about what happens at one? Being prepared, knowing what to expect and understanding what employers are looking for is vital. Come along to our assessment centre activity day Week 8, Wed 20 November, 2.00pm, RCH/037, Ron Cooke Hub to meet a panel of graduate recruiters from Jaguar Land Rover, Network Rail, Teach First and Aviva. Then give some of the assessment exercises a go yourself. Places are limited and it’s ‘first come first served’ on the day. Check out full details on the Careers Gateway and keep up-to-date with the latest news about this event on our Facebook page
2. York Award – it will soon be time for final year students to apply
Later this term (Week 9) the application form for the York Award will be available online for final year students to download. Read all about the application process and start thinking about how many points you might be able to claim. Do you have enough to apply for the York Award? If you need to talk to anyone about how it all works, or discuss your points claim, please book a Careers Information Appointment through your Careers Gateway. We are also running some ‘Applying for the York Award’ information sessions – check Careers Gateway for details.
3. Don’t miss Careers’ Women in Business and Leadership Event
Gain insight to getting ahead as a female graduate in business and leadership at our newest networking event on Tuesday 12November (Week 7), 6pm to 8pm in Physics Exhibition Centre. Come along and meet a range of professional alumnae who have gone on to forge exciting careers in sectors such as FMCG, retail, technology and the third sector and find out how you could do the same. See your Careers Gateway for details.
4. Ever wondered how to start your own business?
If you’ve ever wondered how to start your own business, make sure you sign up for our new workshop, ‘First Steps to Starting a Business’, which takes place on Thursday 28 November (Week 9). Delivered in conjunction with business advisers from BSYNY, you’ll find out what it takes to be an entrepreneur, in addition to practical advice on launching yourself as freelancer or getting your idea for a start-up off the ground. See Careers Gateway for more information and to sign up.
5. The Tour de France is coming to Yorkshire, what’s your idea to celebrate? Tell us by Thursday Week 7 (14 November) – and get £500 funding to make it happen!
Create banners to decorate the city, gather stories of ‘My First Bike,’ perform in the city centre or make your idea (big or small) come to life. Don’t miss your chance to be part of the 100 Day Cultural Festival celebrating the Tour de France coming to Yorkshire. Tell us your idea to engage local schools or get creative in city spaces and you could receive up to £500 to make it happen. Start it! Tour de France Festival Funding applications close 5pm Thursday Week 7 (14 November). Apply via York Students in Communities Start it!
6. Last chance to sign up for a stall at the Christmas Market!
Just a quick reminder to say that this Wednesday 13November (Week 7) is the deadline for you to sign up for a stall at the Christmas Market, which takes place on Wednesday 27November (Week 9). Sign up for a stall via this entry form.
7. Employers events – 11 – 22 November
Full details of events including location/booking on Careers Gateway. Please check Careers Gateway for latest details of all events.
11 November, 6.30pm
Morgan Stanley: Dispelling the Myths of Investment Banking (re-scheduled after bad weather forced cancellation on 28 October)
14 November, 1.00pm
NHS Graduate Training Scheme: what is it and how do I apply?
14 November, 6.30pm
Nestle: Employability skills session with Nestlé graduates including assessment centre and interview techniques
19 November 6.30pm
Santander – Work Placements: A Stronger Bank, A Better Experience
8. Do you want money AND great work experience
Looking for paid term time work? Thought about a project-based internship that will boost your employability at the same time? The Student Internship Bureau is advertising vacancies now! Find out more and keep up to date with the latest SIB news by following us on Facebook. All vacancies are advertised through your Careers Gateway.
9. Careers briefings 11 – 22 November
Full details of session content and location can be found on Careers Gateway.
Mon 11 Nov, 18:00 CV Basics D/056 (Derwent)
Wed 13 Nov, 13:00 Teacher Training Interviews A/EW/105 (Alcuin)
Tue 19 Nov, 17:00 Develop your Career Plans V/123 (Vanbrugh)
Tue 19 Nov, 13:00 Applying for the York Award V/123 (Vanbrugh)
Wed 20 Nov, 14:00 Assessment Centre Activity Day RCH/037 Ron Cooke Hub
Thu 21 Nov, 10:00 Disclosing your Disability Careers centre
10. Missed a presentation? Don’t miss out completely
Did you know you can download the slides from our Careers briefings, some employer events and departmental careers sessions from our website? They are usually available a few days after the presentation and you can find them on our information resources page.
11. Are you bilingual or fluent in another language? The YSIS Language Support Register needs you!
Pupils in York schools speak over 50 different languages, and finding language support can often be very difficult. Working with the Local Authority’s Traveller and Ethnic Minority Support Service (TEMSS), YSIS is looking for bilingual students and students fluent in a wide variety of languages to add their information to a YSIS Language Support Register, thereby allowing YSIS to match students to a range of opportunities, from one-off support to longer term placements. We need Arabic, Hungarian, Korean, Mandarin, Romanian, Turkish and many more! Add your details to our Language Support Register now.
12. Reminder: Change to opening date for Teacher Training applications
The opening date for applications for Initial Teacher Training has been put back to 21 November 2013. Information about course providers will not be available on the UCAS website until this date.
13. Run it! Charity Internships Deadline Thursday Week 7 (14 November)
Interested in Marketing and PR? Help raise the profile of Parks and Gardens UK, a freely accessible online resource providing inspiring information on the promotion, conservation and management of UK parks, gardens and designed landscapes. The charity is looking to become more sustainable and is seeking two Charity Interns to help write their marketing and social media strategies. Deadline: 5pm Thursday Week 7 (14 November) Apply via York Students in Communities
14. In brief… more news
- Guest Blog: 4 reasons you should start a career in IT
- My Career Map – take the survey for the chance to win great prizes
- Applications for the Institute of Direct Marketing Summer School are now open
- Careers news published every day on the news page of our website
15. Information about Careers:
- Lots more information available 24 hours a day on our website
- Search for jobs online via Careers Gateway
- Read the latest Careers news online daily
- Opening hours: Monday – Friday 10.00am – 5.00pm (undergraduate term time)
- Details of our full event programme for Autumn 2013
- Follow us on social media