Careers Newsletter, Summer 2014, Weeks 3 and 4
In this issue:
- Professional Connect is back – connecting you with professionals
- York Award interviews – good luck!
- Four exciting internships available with York Cares – apply now!
- New opportunities for work experience for international students
- Want to volunteer – lots of exciting opportunities for summer vacation or autumn term
- Applications for YSIS placements are now open
- YSIS full time block placements for end of summer term
- Lots of great paid internships now available through Student Internship Bureau
- Get Inspired – bursary available for voluntary work experience
- Plan ENVY – last chance to win £2,000 for your next big idea!
- Graduate Recruitment Fairs – it’s not too late to get a graduate job!
- Careers Events coming up in Weeks 3 and 4
- Meet the Team – Mhairi Oliver, graduate intern
- Caught our eye this week – free travel safety app, info for researchers and personality test
- University of York – £10,000 Masters Scholarships – apply now!
… and more
1. Professional Connect – connecting York students with professionals
Thursday 8 May (Week 3) is your opportunity to put questions to and network with professionals from:
- Politics & Public Affairs
- Journalism & Publishing
offering insight into career paths and roles available in their field. During the Q&A session panellists will share their own professional journey and offer tips on how to stand out from the crowd. A drinks reception will follow so you can network with the professionals across all strands, many of whom are York alumni, to chat informally, explore options and get advice. Visit Professional Connect for more information.
2. York Award interviews – good luck!
York Award interviews have started – good luck to everyone who is taking part! There is lots of information on our website about how to prepare and what to expect – check it out. If you have any questions please email us via Careers Gateway or call in.
3. Last Chance: York Cares Charity Internships – Deadline Friday Week 3
Could you support the work of York Cares, a local independent employee-volunteering charity, bringing businesses, employees and communities together to make York a better place?
Four exciting roles available starting in autumn 2014: Team Challenges, Communications, York Children’s University (CU) Programmes or York CU Partnerships. This is a fantastic opportunity for those looking for experience in the third sector, project or event management or communications and publishing. Apply online now – closing date Friday Week 3 (9 May).
4. News for International students
- Opportunities for work experience in the UK at the end of your course: We have updated our web pages with the latest information about the Tier 5 (Temporary Worker – Government Authorised Exchange) immigration route. This may allow you in certain circumstances to stay in the UK up to 12 months for work experience at the end of your course. Follow the links on the page for more information.
- Chinese student internships: There are also new opportunities announced in April 2014, specifically for Chinese students (or Chinese speaking non EU students) to find an internship at the end of their course to help British companies looking to expand their Chinese presence and to grow trade links with China. Find out more about the International Student Internship Scheme.
- GradLink UK is the specialist careers website designed for UK-educated students and graduates from China, Africa, India and Malaysia. You can learn about graduate opportunities and connect with graduate employers in your home country. The website includes vacancies, graduate profiles, employer contacts, in-depth advice and much more. New for 2014: Go-CV! facility is now live – allowing you to build your CV and submit it to employers on the site.
5. Volunteer roles for the Summer or Autumn Term- Apply from Tuesday Week 4
Looking for a regular volunteer role? Interested in heritage, environment, charities or working with young people? York Students in Communities is offering a range of exciting individual volunteering opportunities for the summer break or to start in the Autumn term. Find out more and apply online. Applications are open: Tuesday Week 4 (13 May) – Midnight, Thursday Week 6 (29 May)
6. Do it! Applications open for YSIS Placements
A YSIS placement provides students with the opportunity to volunteer in schools for a 10-week placement of half a day each week. Applications open from Monday Week 3 to Monday Week 5 (5 – 19 May). If you’re not sure what’s involved, why not attend an Introduction to YSIS to find out about the scheme and ask any questions that you might have? For more information about volunteering and how to apply visit our Do it! pages.
7. YSIS Block Placements – last chance!
Could you volunteer for a two/three week placement at the end of the Summer term? Last chance to apply for a YSIS Block Placement – deadline 5.00pm Tuesday Week 3. You could support a particular year group or key stage at a primary school, or help in a department at a secondary school – available placements include Art, Design and Technology, Geography, History, Maths, MFL, Special Educational Needs and Science. Or you could deliver costumed activities to school groups at the Danelaw Centre for Living History. Apply now – visit the Run it! pages.
8. Are you looking for a paid project based internship over the vacation? The Student Internship Bureau (SIB) is advertising paid Summer vacation internships NOW with more internships to follow!
To check out the current SIB opportunities internships log on to Careers Gateway and search for organisation Student Internship Bureau to view all available SIB internships and make sure your email preferences are up to date so you don’t miss out. Also make sure you keep up to date with the latest internship news and vacancies by ‘liking’ our SIB Facebook page.
9. Get Inspired – are you volunteering to undertake work experience in the UK this summer?
*Deadline for Get Inspired bursary applications – Sunday 18th May 2014*
Getting relevant work experience is a vital step toward eventually securing a full time graduate job. Unfortunately not all opportunities in the workplace offer payment for your time, meaning that undertaking voluntary work experience can be a significant investment for many students. If you are in your penultimate year of study and looking to do work experience that will inform your career planning, Careers has secured funding courtesy of Santander to provide financial support to those students who might find this investment particularly difficult. For more information click Get Inspired.
10. Plan ENVY – last chance to win £2,000 for your next big idea!
Deadline for applications is Friday 9 May (Week 3) – so if you have what it takes to plan an exciting new venture at York enter our exciting business competition. Submit your business idea – no matter what stage it’s at – and you could be the winner of £2,000! You can apply as an individual or a small team and the competition is also open to recent graduates (within 2 years). Find out more now and apply before 9 May (Friday Week 3).
11. Graduate Recruitment Fairs – it’s not too late to get a graduate job!
These events are open to students and graduates from any university and any degree discipline
- Yorkshire Graduate Recruitment Fair, Leeds, Monday 9 June – the perfect opportunity to meet over 100 graduate employers and postgraduate course providers
- Manchester – Wednesday 11 and Thursday 12 June – different exhibitors each day with graduate jobs starting this summer.
There are graduate recruitment fairs throughout the UK and Ireland coming up this summer – check out the details and pick one near you.
12. Careers Events coming up in Weeks 3 and 4
Full details of all events on Careers Gateway
- Tuesday 6 May 3.00pm, Introduction to York Students in Schools (YSIS) P/T/006
- Thursday 8 May 6.15pm, Professional Connect: Journalism and Publishing/Politics and Public Affairs/ Science
- Tuesday 13 May 12.00, Get a Career Mentor – Introduction to the Alumni Mentoring Scheme, A/TB/042 (Seebohm Rowntree)
- Tuesday 13 May, 12.30pm, Interview Basics LMB 036X (Law and Management Building, Heslington East)
- Tuesday 13 May, 1.00pm, RDT Career Planning for Researchers (Students)
- Wednesday 14 May, 1.30pm – 4.00pm, EY: Talent Spotting – How Social Media can enhance your job search, PT/007 (followed by networking and drinks)
We are also holding a number of departmental careers advice appointments or sessions on preparing CVs and applications. What’s happening in your department? Full details on our events list.
13. Meet the Team – Mhairi Oliver
This week you can read about one of our Graduate Interns, Mhairi Oliver who joined the team last year and works as part of the Student Internship Bureau team.
14. Caught our eye this week
- If you are travelling this summer keep safe – download this great free app from Caroline’s Rainbow Foundation
- Your Research Career – where next? For bioscience PhD students and postdocs, London 2 June
- Icould Buzz Test: A personality profile quiz to help you identify your strengths and preferences
15. University of York Masters Scholarships 2014/15 – £10,000
The University of York is offering 60 taught Masters scholarships worth £10,000 each to students liable to pay fees at the home rate entering in 2014. This is part of a HEFCE initiative aimed at removing barriers to postgraduate education for students from under-represented groups,
The £10,000 will be paid as a £6,200 fee waiver and £3,800 stipend paid in 4 instalments over the academic year. Closing date for fully completed applications is 5pm, Monday 2nd June 2014. Find out more and apply now.
16. More information about Careers:
- Lots more information available 24 hours a day on our website
- Search for jobs online via Careers Gateway
- Find out about different types of appointments we offer
- Read the latest Careers news online – updated daily
- Opening hours: Monday – Friday 10.00am – 5.00pm (undergraduate term time)
- Details of our full event programme for Summer 2014
- Follow us on social media for daily updates of careers news