Summer 2014, Weeks 5 and 6
In this issue:
- Plan for your future career with an experienced mentor
- New graduate career profiles now online
- Fantastic paid internships from Careers this summer
- Save the date: SUMMER RECRUITMENT DAY, 17 June (week 9) 12-3pm in Careers
- Staying in York over the summer? Looking for a volunteer role for Autumn term?
- Last chance to apply for an Autumn term YSIS placement
- EU Careers Ambassador needed on campus for next academic year
- SME Connect: Linking York students with smaller businesses
- Searching for a science job?
- Careers events 19-30 May (weeks 5 and 6)
- Meet the Team – Louisa Dobson, Operations Team
- Recruitment fairs around the UK
- Caught our eye this week
- Information about Careers
1. Plan for your future career with an experienced mentor
The summer 2014 Alumni Mentoring Scheme (AMS) is underway now but it is never too early to start planning! The autumn term is a critical time for you to take career decisions and prepare for the graduate recruitment cycle. AMS is a fantastic opportunity for you to develop your career planning with the help of an experienced mentor drawn from the University’s extensive alumni network. Students from any field of study are encouraged to apply!
Interested? If you want to apply, please ensure you are available to attend our AMS information session. Summer Term Information Session will be held: Thursday 29 May (week 6) 1.00pm-2.00pm in V/123. Please contact us via Careers Gateway if you have any questions.
2. New Graduate career profiles now online
Our Graduate Profiles database gives you the chance to connect with York graduates working in a wide variety of jobs. Lots of new profiles have been added to the database for summer term, including:
- wine buyer
- social worker
- research associate
- visual effects supervisor
- development engineer
- medical associate
You can search by job sector, or use it to see what graduates from your course have gone on to do. We have also added a new FAQ section – check it out here and get connected! If you have any questions about using the system please book a Careers Information appointment via Careers Gateway.
3. Fantastic paid internships from Careers this summer!
If you want to enhance your summer vacation with a paid internship then look no further than The Student Internship Bureau (SIB). For projects of all degree disciplines log on to the Careers Gateway to make sure your email preferences are up to date and search for organisation Student Internship Bureau to view all available SIB opportunities. ‘Like’ our Facebook page to keep up to date with the latest internship news. In addition to SIB internships, there are hundreds of other internship opportunities currently being advertised through the Careers Gateway
Internships Deadlines for weeks 5 and 6
- Mon 19 May 2014 HR Process Review Internship, NHS York
- Mon 19 May 2014 Customer Management Internship, Solarwall, York
- Mon 19 May 2014 Marketing & Event Management Intern, Solarwall, York
- Tue 20 May 2014 Community Engagement Internship, City of York Council
- Tue 20 May 2014 Marketing & Customer Engagement Internship, City of York Council
- Wed 21 May 2014 Data Management Internship, Guided Solutions, Campus
- Wed 21 May 2014 Market Research Internship, Guided Solutions, Campus
- Thu 22 May 2014 Web Content Creator and Social Media Intern, PEC, Campus
- Thu 22 May 2014 Mobile Web User Interface Development Intern, YorkMetrics, York
- Mon 26 May 2014 Statistical Analysis of Railway Infrastructure, Network Rail, York
- Mon 26 May 2014 Sustainability Plan Internship, Network Rail, York
- Mon 26 May 2014 Consultancy Internship, Network Rail, York
- Mon 26 May 2014 Marketing and Branding Internship, Network Rail, York
4. Save the date: SUMMER RECRUITMENT DAY, 17 June (week 9) 12-3pm in Careers
This is a key agency recruitment event for finalists looking to decide upon their next steps. Join us to register with local and national agencies, for a broad range of both temporary and permanent work. Save the date, prepare your CV, and get your graduate career off to a flying start! More details to follow….
5. Staying in York over the summer? Looking for a volunteer role for Autumn term?
York Students in Communities is offering a wide range of community placements. There are 24 different roles available including roles in conservation, theatre, museums, libraries, charities and education, to start in the summer break or when you return in the Autumn term. To find out more and to apply, visit the Do It webpage. Deadline: Thursday 29 May (week 6)
6. Last chance to apply for an Autumn term YSIS placement!
A YSIS placement provides students with the opportunity to volunteer in schools for a 10-week placement of half a day each week. There are a variety of placements available from nursery to sixth form. Apply by midnight, Tuesday 20 May (week 5). Visit the YSIS Do it! pages for more information.
7. EU Careers Ambassador needed on campus for next academic year
Could you promote EU Careers to fellow students on campus next year? You could be the ambassador that EU Careers is looking for. Full details online – closing date noon (12:00 Brussels time) on Friday 23 May 2014. If you have any questions you can email the current campus ambassador Benja at email@example.com
8. SME Connect: Linking York students with smaller businesses
5.30pm Thursday 22 May (week 5), The Kitchen, Alcuin College
Small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) employ up to 250 people each, and taken as a group they account for 24.3 million jobs, or nearly 60% of UK private sector employment.
Come and get an insight into this vibrant and diverse source of graduate jobs from those working in two of its busiest growth sectors:
- 5.30pm: Working in Technology Sector SMEs
- 6.30pm: Informal networking
- 7.00pm: Working in Creative Sector SMEs
You can attend all or just part of the event, which will provide you with an opportunity to meet and network with the people engaged in businesses ranginf from video production, consumer marketing, publishing, design and apps development. Read more about working in small business on our website.
9. Searching for a Science job?
Read our latest blog on how to find graduate scientific job opportunities.
10. Careers events in weeks 5 and 6 (19 – 30 May)
- 19 May, 11.15am: Coffee with the Ambassador. Meet Her Majesty’s Ambassador to the state of Qatar. Mr Hopton will offer reflections on his personal career path at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
- 21 May, 12.00pm: How to get to yes. Understand and practise the skill of negotiation.
- 28 May, 10.00am: RDT – Non-academic careers: CVs and applications
- 29 May, 1.00pm: Get a Career Mentor. An introduction to the Alumni Mentoring Scheme
11. Meet the Team – Louisa Dobson, Operations Team
If you have ever wondered about the behind the scenes work that goes into putting on our events and careers fairs, then take a look at our latest Meet the Team profile featuring Louisa who works in the Operations team at Careers. Read more about what her work involves in our regular Meet the team feature.
12. Recruitment fairs around the UK
- Yorkshire Graduate Recruitment fair, 9 June (11.00am-3.00pm)
- Register: http://careerfairs.leeds.ac.uk/ygrf/
- Manchester 11 & 12 June, (10.30am-4.00pm)
- Register: www.manchester.ac.uk/graduatefair
- London 11 June, (11.00am-4.00pm)
- Register www.summergradfair.co.uk
For a full list of upcoming careers fairs by geographical region and type, see the Prospects website.
13. Caught our eye this week:
- How not to ask for help on LinkedIn
- Graduate Success features graduates from 2011 and 2012 reflecting on their university experiences and how these have affected their transition into employment
14. Information about Careers:
- Lots more information available 24 hours a day on our website
- Search for jobs online via Careers Gateway
- Find out about different types of appointments we offer
- Read the latest Careers news online – updated daily
- Opening hours: Monday – Friday 10.00am – 5.00pm (undergraduate term time)
- Details of our full event programme for Summer 2014
- Follow us on social media for daily updates of careers news