In this issue:
- Careers Summer recruitment day, 17 June – work for summer and beyond
- £5,000 worth of bursaries on offer for postgraduate study
- It’s not too late to find a graduate job
- Careers wins international award for Employability Tutorial
- Careers events in Weeks 7 and 8
- Do you know what type of companies most graduates work for?
- Fantastic PAID summer internships in York – recruiting now!
- £1,000 grants to help turn your business ideas into a reality
- Meet the team – Sue Russell, Information Assistant
- How professional journals can help your job hunt
- University of York voted best by international students
– and more
1. Key date for your diaries : 17 June 12-3pm, Careers Summer Recruitment Day
Latest updates in readiness for our Summer Recruitment Day: York’s first and largest recruitment agency, Royle Recruitment, has confirmed their attendance at our day, joining a selection of local and national agencies who are keen to register York finalists ready to start work. Book via Careers Gatewayto join the event, come along with your CV and talk to the agencies about the kind of work you are interested in for the summer and beyond. This is a brilliant opportunity to get started with a temporary or permanent role, in York or further afield. Be sure to attend!
2. Thinking of postgraduate study? Worried about how you will pay for it?
TARGETCOURSES is giving away £5,000 worth of bursaries to help pay your fees for a postgraduate course in 2014/15. Make your application before 30 June 2014 – good luck! Find out more about applying for postgraduate study on our website.
3. It’s not too late to find a graduate job!
Employers are still looking for great graduates to fill many roles – it’s not too late.
One way you can find them is by attending a recruitment fair this summer. Check out what’s happening in this guide to summer fairs. Download our Finding Graduate Jobs information sheet to find out lots more about finding vacancies.
4. Careers wins international award!
We are all celebrating the news that our Employability Tutorial has won an international award at the 2014 Blackboard Catalyst Awards. The Europe, Middle East and Africa Student Impact Award has recognised the success of our Employability Tutorial in increasing student engagement with Careers. Read more and if you’ve not started using the Employability Tutorial already now is a great time to check it out on the VLE.
5. Careers events 2-13 June (Weeks 7 and 8)
- 2 June, 9.00am: Interview skills session for postgraduate research students
- 5 June, 1.00pm: Interview Basics
- 12 June, 12.00pm: Disclosing your disability
Full details of all events via Careers Gateway
6. What are your options for employment once you graduate?
Everyone has heard about the big graduate recruiters but did you know that MOST graduates actually go on to work for smaller companies? This type of recruitment is not as high profile but you need to know about how to access this really important source of graduate opportunities. Read more in our blog and find out about the advantages of working for a smaller company here.
7. Paid Summer Internships in York – Recruiting now!
Have you finished your exams but haven’t planned your summer? DON’T PANIC! The Student Internship Bureau has a variety of paid internships for up to 12 weeks long with large organisations such as City of York Council, SMEs and departments within the University.
The SIB had 110 interns in summer 2013 and we want you to be a part of this growing number in summer 2014!
To check out what’s on offer now, log on to the Careers Gateway and search for organisation Student Internship Bureau to view all available SIB opportunities. ‘Like’ our Facebook page to keep up to date with the latest internship news. In addition to SIB internships, there are hundreds of other internship opportunities currently being advertised through the Careers Gateway.
A selection of internships with deadlines ending in Week 7 & 8:
Mon 2 Jun 2014 Market Intelligence Internship, TSYS, Fulford
Mon 2 Jun 2014 Online Marketing Internship, The Coat Outlet, York
Mon 2 Jun 2014 Student Welcome Information Pack, Higher York and GSA
Tue 3 Jun 2014 Legal Services Intern, Access Selby, Selby District Council
Tue 3 Jun 2014 Landlords’ Award Event Management Intern, Higher York, York
Wed 4 Jun 2014 Evaluation of Care Service Resources, City of York Council
Thu 5 Jun 2014 York Environmental Sustainability Institute Internship, Campus
Fri 6 Jun 2014 Events Planning Intern, International Student Support, Campus
8. £1000 grants to help turn ideas into reality!
Do you have an idea for a new product or service? Students and recent graduates can apply to the University for funding to assist with the development of ideas that have commercial potential and/or would bring benefits to society.
The University’s Proof of Concept and Social Enterprise funds both offer awards of up to £1000, together with the chance to apply for further funding as the concept progresses. The application deadline for both funds is Friday 13th June (week 8). Individuals or small teams can apply.
Additional guidance is provided by Careers and external business development professionals, free of charge. Information about these and other enterprise funding, events and competitions, can be found on the Enterprise pages of the Careers website.
9. Meet the Team – Sue Russell Information Assistant
Sue has worked in Careers for nearly 13 years – and is very likely to be the person you speak to if you ring or call into Careers with an enquiry. Read more about Sue.
10. How reading professional journals can help your job hunt
There are all sorts of ways that reading journals can help – from increasing your knowledge of a sector to helping you perform better in interviews – check out more here with a focus on Campaign, one of the UK’s leading publications for the advertising and marketing sector.
11. Caught our eye this week
More good news! University of York voted best by international students
12. Information about Careers:
- Lots more information available 24 hours a day on our website
- Search for jobs online via Careers Gateway
- Find out about different types of appointments we offer
- Read the latest Careers news online – updated daily
- Opening hours: Monday – Friday 10.00am – 5.00pm (undergraduate term time)
- Details of our full event programme for Summer 2014
- Follow us on social media for daily updates of careers news