Friday’s advice: Get to grips with the graduate job market.
It’s one thing making sure your CV is in great shape and being prepared for job interviews, but if you’re not sure what sector you want to go into, CVs and interviews might be the last thing you’re even thinking about. Considering possible future careers can all seem a bit overwhelming, particularly if you’re not sure where to start. But getting started is all about trying different things to get ideas, researching them and thinking about your next steps. To make it a bit easier, we’ve pulled together a list of ways in which you can get to grips with what’s on offer in the graduate job market, to help you work out what you might like to go into.
- The careers ideas webpages provide a good starting ground – the new job sectors are a great place to start exploring sectors, and there’ll be more added in the coming months
- There’s load of opportunities each term to meet top employers on campus, who are here especially to meet York students
- Connect with York graduates through graduate profiles to see what people with your degree have gone onto do and learn about how they got into a particular job sector
- Try out the Alumni Mentoring Scheme! But hurry, you’ve only got until 5th December to apply!
- Our ‘graduate vacancies‘ information sheet explains the different sorts of jobs available to graduates.
Someone like you
Harry, 3rd year Philosophy
What do you want to do after graduation:
Go into social work
What have you done during your time at York to help you achieve this:
– Worked with kids from various background through working as a Student Ambassador
– After the summer I will have worked with young children, teaching them how to swim and looking after them etc. at Camp America
We’ve also put together a handy ‘hints and tips for final year students‘ flyer to help you think about what to consider in your final year at university.
Would you like to chat to someone but don’t think you need an appointment?
You can speak to our Brand Ambassadors on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday week 9 in the library foyer for information, advice and freebies!
Want to be in with a chance of winning a Christmas hamper?! Follow this link to our quick quiz to enter the draw, with the winner to be announced in week 10!