Departmental Careers Events: Weeks 2 – 5 (12 Jan – 6 Feb)
These events are specifically tailored to your department – don’t miss out!
- First years – Introduction to Careers! Wed 14 Jan, 3-4pm PX/001
- Introduction to the Employability Tutorial, Fri 23 Jan, 1-2pm, G/169
- First years – Everything you need to know about Careers NOW! Thu 15 Jan, 2-3pm G/169
- Getting Work Experience, Wed 21 Jan, 11am-12pm, D/L/028
- First years – Everything you need to know about Careers NOW! Thu 15 Jan, 3-4pm C/A/101
- First years – Everything you need to know about Careers NOW! Mon 19 Jan, 4-5pm B/020
- First years – Introduction to employability, Tue 27 Jan, 10:00 – 11:30am or 11:30 – 1pm (Please note – students are allocated to a specific session) B/R/012
- Final years and Masters – CV Writing Weds 28 Jan, 1:30pm – 2:30pm (Book by selecting this in your Employability Audit and venue details will then be forwarded to you)
- Final years and Masters – Interview Training Weds 11 Feb, 1:30pm – 2:30pm (Book by selecting this in your Employability Audit and venue details will then be forwarded to you)
- Careers appointments on Heslington East campus Thur 29 Jan 1pm – 2:30pm (Book via Careers Gateway)
- First years – What you need to know about Careers NOW! Thur 12 Feb 1:30pm – 2:30pm CSE/270
- First years – what you need to know about Careers now! Tue 20 Jan, 1 – 2pm, P/L/001
Thales – mock assessment centre for second year students Thur 22 January 12 – 2pm, D/L/036 – you must book place in advance
- Second years – Internships, work experience and careers Wed 21 Jan 11am – 12 noon P/L/001
Science and Technology Careers Snippets
Advice from employers specifically to Maths students A series of videos from employers giving advice on what they are looking for in a graduate, what experience it is useful to have and explanations of industrial placements and graduate schemes.
Explore a variety of careers in Science and Research. Profiles of up to 39 careers based in science and research including how to get started and what’s involved.
Search for a Star programming competition for students who want to break into the games industry. Applications need to be in by 15 January!
NHS Scientist Training Programme for Medical Physics event, Friday 16 January, Newcastle. An opportunity to meet current STP trainees and talk about their experiences, as well as discovering more about unique opportunities available and how to apply! To find out more click http://ne.hee.nhs.uk/2014/11/06/healthcare-science-open-day-2/
NHS STP – applications now open. Deadline 30 January.
Looking for an internship or year in industry placement ? Try the Cogent website
Environmental careers update – the ENDS website has some useful reports on the state of the environmental careers market.
Win £4,000 with Careers’ competitions!
You could soon be putting a spring in your step with our exciting competitions this term. There’s a total of £4,000 to be won! The Freelance Challenge is a competition for all budding freelancers with a £1,000 top prize and then there’s the return of Plan ENVY, the University of York’s business plan competition which has £3,000 in prizes. If you’re struggling for ideas, come along to the first ENVY workshop on idea generation on Thursday 5 February (Week 5), 17:00 – 19:00 in P/T/005.
Local volunteering opportunities – apply now with York Students in Communities
Applications open Tuesday Week 2 (13 January) for volunteer roles across York via York Students in Communities. Search across our 5 areas of heritage, conservation, young people, public sector and causes to find the perfect role for you! Opportunities include: Block placements with Jorvik Viking Centre, Conservation with St Nicks, Team project with the National Railway Museum. See the full range and apply via York Students in Communities.
York Award application deadline Fri 23 Jan 5pm.
Careers central events: Weeks 2-5 (12 Jan – 6 Feb)
- Working in Education: Careers with children and young people – an event giving you the opportunity to explore career options within the Education and the Youth Sector; including information on teaching at primary, secondary and FE levels. Wednesday 21 Jan, 4-6pm, D/L/028
- Interview Tips and Tricks, Wed 28 Jan, 1-4pm, Ron Cooke Hub
- A day in the life of an IT Consultant with FDM, Wednesday 14 January 1-2pm, G/020
- An introduction to Change100 and supporting disabled students into employment, Thursday 22 January, 12-1.30pm
- Bloomberg Aptitude Test (BAT), Wednesday 4 February, The BAT test will provide you with an insight into your strengths and weaknesses as relative to a career in finance.
- Commercial Awareness with KPMG, Thursday 5 February 1-3pm
- Pizza, paper, profit: success in business. Tuesday 13 January, 1-5pm. Led by staff from professional services firm, Deloitte. Find out more about the world of business.
- The Law of Ideas Wednesday 14 January, 1.30-5.30pm . Led by staff from law firm, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, this is an introduction to the concept of intellectual property.
- Networking for beginners Wednesday 14 January, 2-5pm. An introduction to learning the skills you’ll need to network confidently in the business world.
- Introduction to British Sign Language, Wednesdays, 7 week course from week 3-9.
- Numbers for the World of Work, online course designed to help you brush up on your mathematical skills. Starts from Wed 21 Jan.
- Court in the Act, Tuesday 3 February, 4-6pm. Explore some of the issues faced by local Magistrates.
- Breaking News, Wednesday 4 February, 1.30-3.30pm . Journalism workshop run by national press agency.
- Introduction to Counselling Skills, Tuesdays 5 week course from week 3-7
- Perfect presentations, Thursdays 4 week course from week 4-7
Workshops and talks
- Preparing for Teacher Training Interviews, Wednesday 14 January, 1-3pm, V/120
- Applying for the York Award, Tuesday 20 January, 12-1pm, ATB/042 . This talk will explain the application and assessment process for the 2015 York Award.
- Introduction to York Students in Schools (YSIS) – Monday 19 January, 3-4pm, P/T/006 and Thursday 22 January, 4-5pm, D/L/036. Find out more about volunteering in a local school next term.
- Applying for Further Study, Monday 2 February, 2-3pm, AEW/105
- Disclosing your disability, Wednesday 4 February, 1.30-2.30pm, LMB/021
More information on all of our events can be found on Careers Gateway
The Department of Physics and the Research Innovation Office is looking for a part-time paid intern to assist with a piece of market research – a great opportunity to gain some business development and marketing promotion experience! Deadline 22 January – full details via Careers Gateway.
Don’t forget about our STEM Careers application lounges – fortnightly events (12 – 1pm) where you can drop in with CVs, application forms or cover letters for review:
- Tuesday 13 January ATB/042
- 27 January ATB/042
- 10 February AEW/105
- 24 Feb DL/037