Social Sciences Careers Newsletter
If you’ve been following our social media this term, you’ll have seen we’re running a #YouNeedWorkExperience campaign, focusing on all things work experience; what counts as work experience, how to find it at York and what effect it could have on your future job prospects. As it’s more and more important in today’s job market to have some sort of experience, Careers is keen to support students looking for work experience – whether you’re a seasoned pro or there’s nothing on your CV yet!
Every Wednesday of Summer Term our social media will be dedicated to #WorkExperienceWednesday, with handy tips and advice about work experience. There’s even a competition running! Make sure you follow us on Twitter to get involved in the campaign. If you can’t wait until Wednesday, get ahead and start thinking about your experience now – visit our work experience page for tips, support and information
Have you had a great internship, placement year or work experience? Tell us your story to inspire and encourage other students – complete a York Profile!
Departmental Careers Events: Weeks 5-8 (11 May-7 Jun)
These events are specifically tailored to your department – don’t miss out!
- Centre for Women’s Studies
Careers appointments – Tue 19 May (Week 6), 11:00-12:40pm, Careers
Careers appointments – Thu 21 May (Week 6), 11:00-12:00pm, Politics
- School of Social and Political Sciences
Careers appointments – Tue 12 May (Week 5), 1:00-3:00pm, Careers
- Social Policy and Social Work
CVs and Application Forms – Wed 3 Jun (Week 8), 10:00-11:00am, A/EW/003 (Alcuin East Wing)
- York Management School
Careers appointments – Thu 14 May (Week 5), 3:30-4.50pm, Placement Office in York Management School
Career Planning Workshop for finalists – Thu 21 May (Week 6), 2:00-5:00pm, RCH/204 Ron Cooke Hub (Heslington East)
Social Sciences Careers Snippets
- 1 Find jobs and develop a career in the charity sector – Find out more about the Charityworks graduate trainee scheme
- 2 With exam season in full swing, here’s some tips on how to have a healthy exam term
- 3 If you’re interested in working in politics, find out more in this career profile of a Parliamentary Researcher and the Diary of Parliamentary Researcher, Kate McCann
General Careers news
Summer Recruitment Day
Thinking about boosting your work experience? Still not quite sorted out summer plans? Planning to get a graduate or part-time job after exams?
If your answer to any of these questions is yes, the Summer Recruitment Day is the solution for you.
Taking place in Your Space on Monday 8 June, 11-3pm, you will have the opportunity to talk to employers offering everything from short-term summer casual work, to graduate internships to permanent graduate roles. You could leave with a job on the day!
We are inviting local recruitment agencies with immediate starts, top graduate recruiters looking for summer internships and permanent roles to meet you on campus. So join us for a chat with Reed, Adecco, Enterprise Rent-a-Car, FDM and Gradcracker to name but a few. Nothing to lose and everything to gain!
We will also be offering a CV clinic 12-2pm – come along with your CV for support from our Careers Advisers and top tips from employers.
Please register your interest in attending now on Careers Gateway, so we have an idea of numbers attending, and follow us on Twitter (@UoYCareers) to get the latest updates.
Student Internship Bureau Summer Opportunities
Looking for paid work experience in the York area over the summer vacation? The Student Internship Bureau (SIB) sources over 120 paid internships each year exclusively for University of York students. Log onto Careers Gateway and click on the ‘SIB Internships’ tab to view what’s advertising now. Internships are only advertised for around 2 weeks, so make sure you are application ready by reading the SIB’s online tips! You can also keep up to date with new opportunities by liking the SIB’s Facebook page.
Careers central events: Weeks 5-8 (11 May-7 Jun)
- EY Application Bootcamp, Mon 18 May (Week 6), 3:00-5:30pm, A/EW/105 (Alcuin East Wing)
- Alumni Mentoring Scheme: mid term review, Wed 20 May (Week 6), 1:00-2:00pm, D/130 (Derwent)
- Win-Win Negotiations, Wed 20 May (Week 6), 3:00-6:00pm
- RDT: Non-academic careers – CVs and applications, Thu 28 May (Week 7), 10:00-12:00pm, BS/008 (Berrick Saul Building)
- Career Planning for Final Years, Wed 3 Jun (Week 8), 2:30-5:30pm, A/EW/104 (Alcuin East Wing)
Workshops and talks
- RDT: Non-academic careers – interviews, Tue 2 Jun (Week 8), 10:00-12:00pm, BS/008 (Berrick Saul Building)
- Disclosing your Disability, Wed 3 Jun (Week 8), 1:00-2:00pm, Careers