Check out events for next term. More can be found at: www.york.ac.uk/careers/events
Autumn Term 2016 fairs
Three recruitment fairs run each Autumn Term, bringing top employers on campus:
- Law Fair: Wednesday 12 October 2016
- Graduate Recruitment and Internships Fair: STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) – Wednesday 19 October 2016
- Graduate Recruitment and Internships Fair: All Sectors – Thursday 20 October 2016
Our full listing of events
External events and news you might be interested in
- HP R&D Academy is a two year fully-funded training programme. For more details and to apply see: www.fue.es/hpacademy Deadline for applications is 20 June 2016
- The BQF Summer School is a two week learning programme which offers insights into key business disciplines of Finance, Marketing, Career Management and many more. Come to one session or all! For more information please visit the website – https://www.bqf.org.uk/bqf-summer-school/
- British Council in collaboration with Royal Society of Chemistry announces Newton Bhabha Fund Researcher Links Workshop Grant to bring together early-career researchers from India and the UK to build international connections which can support them in improving the quality of their research. To read the eligibility criteria and to apply, see their web page. The submission deadline is 16:00 on 27 June 2016.
- News Associates and the team at Sportsbeat are running some one-day journalism masterclasses for students interested in a full-time career in sports journalism. You will hear from the reporting staff at the events and get the chance to prepare scripts and broadcast packages and have a go at live blogging and producing your own content.
The Manchester dates are as follows (111 Piccadilly, Manchester, M1 2HY):
Wednesday, June 29th (Wimbledon themed workshops, 10am-4pm)
Thursday, August 11th (Olympics themed workshop, 3.30pm-9.30pm)
Space is limited, so email email@example.com now to reserve your place – you will receive confirmation of your place and timetable of the day by email. Visit http://sportsbeattraining.co.uk/free-sports-journalism-workshops for more information.
- There are still vacancies for teacher training programmes in STEM subjects to start this September . If you are intereted, please see Northumbria University’s two online events for final year STEM undergraduates:- Wednesday 15 June, 6.30-7.30pm – An introduction to teacher training for STEM undergraduates
– Monday 20 June, 6.30-7.30pm – Train to Teach maths or physics
Further similar events will take place in July. More detail on these events can be found on the online events page at Get into Teaching.
If you have any further queries please e-mail ITT.RECRUITMENT@education.gsi.gov.uk
- The London Graduate Fair takes place on Wed 22 June 2016, 11am – 6pm at M47 Macmillan Hall. PRE-REGISTER now for your fast track entry.
- GO – Great Opportunities is a fantastic interactive careers event for bright, ambitious First Year students who have a disability or long-term health condition. This is a free, cross-industry sector careers event in central London on Friday 24 June 2016, 10.30 – 15.30 For more information including how to apply visit: go-greatopportunities.com
Latest news from Careers
Don’t worry, we are open through the Summer Vacation!
There are appointments running through the Summer, but on a reduced scale. Please see the ‘Appointments this week’ for the duty times and the vacation opening times on the website for when we are open.
We will be running weekly drop-in appointments for International students who have questions about working in the UK after their studies. Check the website for more details.
Don’t miss out…
With the end of exam season and a long summer holiday ahead, make the most of your summer and get #GradJobReady! Internship opportunities come in a variety of flavours, so take a look and find the right one for you.
Be sure to keep an eye out on the Careers Gateway (Exclusive Opportunities @York tab) for Student Internship Bureau (SIB) opportunities currently being advertised. You can also keep up to date by liking our Facebook Page.
Check out events for the week ahead. More can be found at: www.york.ac.uk/careers/events
Guest blog written by Matt Anerich, Content Writer at Inspiring Interns
It can be a scary time of the year, with exams and the impending world of graduate careers starting to open up. But you’ll be surprised how becalming taking some steps towards applications can be.
The most important tip? Start doing them! You’ll learn so much about the process of applying by simply starting to fill applications in, and your confidence around researching and filling out those all important forms will grow with every one you write.
Of course, it’s important to prioritise, and make sure that you don’t start with your dream job. As you learn the ropes, and go through a few application processes, you’ll have received some feedback and will be ready to bring your A-game to the jobs that you care about the most. Continue reading
External events and news you might be interested in
Altum Consulting have recently launched their CSR program for 2016: The Altumate Challenge 2016 They are looking for entrants who wish to undertake an amazing adventure this year and raise money for a registered charity. They are offering the winner £5000 towards the cost of undertaking their challenge. They are also offering a further £1,000 towards their charitable fundraising target.
Opportunity for Hong Kong students
A partner organisation of the British Council, UK Joint University HK Career Society is providing a ‘Hire Graduates Channel’ together with Classified Post, Hong Kong’s leading online recruitment portal. This channel is only available to Hong Kong students studying in the UK, and recent Hong Kong graduates. Please register at www.osn-uk.com
In addition, the UK Joint University HK Career Society is organising a recruitment fair to be held on August 6th in Hong Kong, with over 20 major employers attending. Students who are registered will receive details about the fair.