Thanks to Jacob Turner, Careers Information Desk Intern, who made some great notes for us at our recent panel event: Are grad schemes for you?
- Mark Page- TJX Europe (TK Maxx), Senior Talent Acquisition
- Elin Williams- Civil Service Fast Stream, Senior Cohort Leader
- Hannah Dillon- L’Oreal, Campus Ambassador
- Pash Selopal- Frontline, Recruitment Officer
- Kathryn Walmsley- PwC, Student Recruitment Officer
What is a Grad scheme?
- A structured period of training and development, often rotating around different departments, may involve placements overseas, structure may vary according to employer.
- TJX Europe’s schemes are segregated and specific with a lot of early responsibility, allowing participants to train and develop skills relevant to a specific area of the business.
- Fast Track schemes aim to attract future leaders, allowing graduates with great potential to begin working with early responsibility, and to develop personally and professionally, whilst increasing their profile within the business. Often such schemes are structured to ensure that passionate graduates are able to be themselves and learn skills throughout various areas of the business.
- Certain schemes are more general. The Civil Service Fast Stream Generalist scheme ensures that graduates attempt a varied group of jobs throughout the service. They recruit from any degree subject. The scheme includes 4 six month placements, giving you the opportunity to try out different things and see what fits you, whilst developing an understanding of the different areas within the Civil Service.
The Junior Associate Training Course: JUNIORASSOCIATE.ORG has been re-opened by Civitatis International and is an internationally respected residential course producing the highest calibre employable graduates of International Relations and the Social Sciences.
The Junior Associate course develops the skills and character of the Junior Associate in increasing intensity with continuous assessment and feedback for self-improvement. For those able to graduate from the Civitatis International Junior Associate course and who follow our advice there is a 100% success rate for them finding a degree relevant high-level job, with our help, within a few weeks of graduation from the course.
The course selects the best graduates in International Relations and other disciplines and entry to the course is highly competitive. Youtube testimonials from our Junior Associates and an application form to join the course are available online at: JUNIORASSOCIATE.ORG
Applications are now open for entry this summer and Michaelmas.
…on careers events in the UK.
- Europe’s largest aviation careers expo, Pilot Careers Live, will take place at the Royal Armouries Museum, Leeds on Saturday 9 July, 10am – 4.30pm. Tickets cost £5.00 for students. Further details at: www.pilotcareernews.com/live/
- Enhance you business knowledge with the BQF Summer School – a two week learning programme, offering insight into key business disciplines. To apply for our Summer School courses please fill in our booking form at www.bqf.org.uk/bqf-summer-school-form/ or email Heidi Lizzimore on Heidi.Lizzimore@bqf.org.uk For more information please visit our website – www.bqf.org.uk/bqf-summer-school/
Guest blog written by James Heathcote, Private Client Sector Services, Deloitte LLP
You might be wondering how it’s possible to go from being a Languages and Linguistics student to being a tax advisor for some of the world’s largest families and wealthiest individuals.
…but, let’s face it, you’re probably not wondering that at all. In fact, chances are you’ve not even considered tax as a career. Neither had I, until the summer of my second year at York when I did a six week placement with Deloitte in Leeds. In all honesty, I needed the money, and I never expected that it would turn into the exciting career I’m now lucky to be in.
Guest blog written by Anthony Chui, Analyst | Indirect Tax, Deloitte LLP
I’m Anthony and I studied Economics at York. I completed Deloitte’s Summer Vacation Scheme (SVS) in the summer of 2014 and began my graduate role full time in September 2015. My SVS scheme was in Indirect Tax Consultancy and Private Client Services. During the scheme I was given a huge array of responsibility – for example drafting client correspondence, researching potential opportunities to existing clients, and attending client meetings. I worked on different projects with a variety of people. The SVS scheme gave me great insight into the culture within Deloitte and what a full time role would be like after university. Continue reading
External events and news you might be interested in.
- BUNAC is please to announce that applications are now open for the 2016 BUNAC Educational Scholarship Trust (BEST) Scholarships. The BEST Scholarships offer financial assistance to eligible candidates looking to undertake postgraduate study in the USA or Canada. Deadline for applications is Friday 1 April.
- Registration is now open for the 2016 Global Investment Banking Valuation Olympiad
in partnership with Greensea Capital. Enter a team of 4 by Friday 15 April to take part.
- Study at an Indian university this summer with the British Council. Gain an insight into contemporary Indian culture and university life as you spend time living on campus and interacting with Indian peers. Apply by Monday 18 April.
Latest news from Careers
We’re still open during the Easter vacation
- Monday 14 March – Friday 8 April
Open: Monday – Thursday, 10.00am – 4.00pm
Tuesday 15 March, 2.30pm – 4.00pm (staff meeting)
Tuesday 22 March, 10.00am – 1.00pm (staff training)
Monday 28 March (Easter Monday bank holiday)
Appointments with our Careers Consultants will still be available. See Careers Gateway or our Opening Times webpage to see when they are taking place
Easter is a perfect time to…
- Enter Plan ENVY. Our business idea competition is open to all students and recent graduates from the University. The top prize is £2000. Further information and the application form can be found on the Enterprise website. Deadline for applications is 29th April
- Apply to get some classroom based experience in a local school. YSIS block placements are full time placements over the last two weeks of summer term. Apply online via the Exclusive Opportunities @York tab on Careers Gateway. The deadline is Sunday 17th April.
- Update your CV in preparation for the Summer Recruitment fair next term. We have lots of resources to help you with your CV including: